Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Time Machine

The Time Machine (1960) by George Pal

As much as I like Wells’ work, he doesn’t translate well into today. His idea of the anti-utopia, or the man-out-of-place doesn’t have the same kind of impact that, say, Orwell has. I know, I know, they are aiming at different points, but there’s enough similarity between them to make me think of them together.

How far into the future would you travel if you had the chance? This is a question that I read was posed to Steven Spielberg. His answer was 500 years. That far you could see real differences without being so far out of your element so as to be incapable of understanding your surroundings. See: Crichton’s Timeline, the book, definitely not the movie.

The take-aways?

Science, in and of itself, is not the answer to all questions.

Also,

A man can be out of place no matter when or where he is. It is a choice to find a home.

No comments: